If you are sick of timid critiques of the wine industry, check out what Sir John Hegarty had to say at the Wine and Spirits Trade Associateion (WSTA) conference. Hegarty is ad executive behind famous campaigns for Levi's and Johnny Walker, and even owns a winery in the Languedoc. How does he slam the wine industry? Let us count the ways, as reported in The Drinks Buisness.
- "Brand" is thought of as a dirty word.
- The middle is dead; nothing remains but luxury and value. The latter consisting of "selling shit".
- People are treated as consumers and not audiences. There is no dialog.
- Wines are not being creatively branded by occasion.
- Craft beer is kicking wine's ass.
- There are no big ideas.
In conclusion, the wine industry is "peculiar, fragmented, confusing and impenetrable”.