We taste many wines for this column and we always hope for the best, but, look, we’re human; we do open some with greater anticipation than others. One wine we tried recently was a sparkling rosé of Tannat from Bending Branch Winery in Texas. Here are the first two words of our tasting notes: “We’re surprised.”
"We had had other wines from GunBun, as people call it, but had not recently had its Gewürz until pioneering winemaker David Ramey of Ramey Wine Cellars wrote a couple of years ago that if we loved the Navarro, we had to try the GunBun. "
"After we began absorbing the guilty verdicts delivered to former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin for the murder of George Floyd, an unarmed Black man, one thing became clear to us: People cannot step back from working for racial and social justice, equality, and inclusion."
"One time in Collioure, our grower had paid a diver to go bring up sea urchins, and they had a whole box of sea urchins. So he stood there and shucked the sea urchins and drank Collioure Blanc." Lyle Railsback on some of the magical moments working for Kermit Lynch
"Valtellina is one of the wine world’s most extreme and challenging locations. The terraced vineyards there face south, basking in uncommon amounts of sunlight in the valley that runs east to west." Dorothy J. Gaiter and John Brecher
- We’ve been told for years and we’ve even written it: Good wines are made in the vineyard. It’s all about the place, the terroir and, yes, that does exist.
- To grow wine on these steep and rocky slopes requires dedication, perseverance, and a standard of hands-on care that is almost unparalleled in modern winemaking.
- Given the state of the world, we never would have guessed this, but Open That Bottle Night 2021 reached new heights, celebrated by wine stores from Massachusetts to Singapore, by wineries from Australia to Tuscany and by shut-in-for-too-long people from Jamaica to Sonoma.
- "We want these wines to transport the consumers to our unique desert-like region, and at the same time we want to make wines that are easy to drink and enjoy with friends and family." - Lucia Romero
- The wine industry must become more diverse to grow.