Given the state of the world, we never would have guessed this, but Open That Bottle Night 2021 reached new heights, celebrated by wine stores from Massachusetts to Singapore, by wineries from Australia to Tuscany and by shut-in-for-too-long people from Jamaica to Sonoma.
open that bottle night
- We’ve heard it over and over during the past year: “Now every night is Open That Bottle Night!” In the midst of such a horrific year, people decided to finally enjoy those bottles of wine that had been just too special to open.
- "Like a surprising number of people, our own prescription for getting through this involves calming down with a glass of wine – and, in this case, the good stuff." Dorothy J. Gaiter and John Brecher
- “We’ve been pairing our wines to our movie selections. First, a 2015 Williams Selyem Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir and ‘Casablanca’ — Morocco is on the coast so figured we’d have a coastal wine." Lynn Penner-Ash
- Wine “has the capacity to lift us out of ourselves by its beauty. The appreciation of that beauty elevates our life through wine.” --Warren Winiarski, on OTBN 2020
- "OTBN is observed on the last Saturday of February, which is Feb. 29 this year. OTBN will be celebrated throughout the world, from Grove, Okla., to Prague..." Dorothy J. Gaiter & John Brecher
- "We invented OTBN in 1999 because it seems like everybody has that one bottle of wine that’s too special to open. So we said, fine, on the last Saturday of February, let’s all corkscrew up our courage and do it together." Dorothy J. Gaiter & John Brecher
- "Open that bottle! Celebrate the memories! Appreciate the wine for what it is, not what it might have become or might once have been." Dorothy J. Gaiter and John Brecher
- "We heard from more than 1,500 wine lovers from Maui to Jacksonville, Florida, from Santa Barbara to Russia, from Seattle to London, from Vancouver to Chile, from Rhode Island to New Zealand, and from Atlanta to South Africa." Dorothy J. Gaiter on Open That Bottle Night
- "Even if opening that wine may be the end of that bottle’s journey it is only the beginning of a long night of stories." Dorothy J. Gaiter on Open That Bottle Night.