Oft compared to Nebbiolo, Xinomavro brings out the bold in Naoussa. Biodynamic winemaker Apostolos Thymiopoulos breaks down the region, the grapes, and the power of letting the land do its thing.
"Our wine surely has edges and corners, but not for the fact that it is made from Piwi but because they are handcrafted wines that speak of where they come from." Thomas Niedermayr
"Our founder was a sommelier for a long time, so we started to look at whiskey a little bit more like wine." -Bill Cromwell
"Valtellina is one of the wine world’s most extreme and challenging locations. The terraced vineyards there face south, basking in uncommon amounts of sunlight in the valley that runs east to west." Dorothy J. Gaiter and John Brecher
- Washington State's Hedges Family Estate, a pioneer of the Red Mountain AVA, is crafting award-winning biodynamic wines.
- To grow wine on these steep and rocky slopes requires dedication, perseverance, and a standard of hands-on care that is almost unparalleled in modern winemaking.
- Given the state of the world, we never would have guessed this, but Open That Bottle Night 2021 reached new heights, celebrated by wine stores from Massachusetts to Singapore, by wineries from Australia to Tuscany and by shut-in-for-too-long people from Jamaica to Sonoma.
- "The New York Times a couple years back asked with climate change taking place, where would you buy your Burgundies, your Chardonnay Burgundies, if you weren’t able to buy them from Burgundy anymore. And they actually identified Elgin as a potential growing area for that."
- "Each vine needs to be considered on its own. So we rather call it sculpting than pruning. Cause it's like an old age home and each person has got a different context and history and requirements." André Morgenthal
- "These old vines were able to survive the test of time. And with the roots being so deep in the soil and all the sandy soils, they were able to reach that last bit of reserves of water and maintain themselves where a young vine would have struggled." Schalk Opperman