Dan Petroski, winemaker and owner of Massican, which makes only whites in Napa Valley, has one of the most fertile minds we’ve come across in our 50 years of enjoying and studying wine. But when we heard about his latest project, even we had to say: What the Falanghina? Essentially, the idea is this: What if he asked other vintners to create a wine that would fit under the Massican style umbrella? Considering that winemakers have such individual passions, this seems a bit out there.
- April 21, 2023Tags: walter scott wine , sam bilbro , napa valley
- November 12, 2021Tags: prima materia , lisa denning , lake county
The Lake County appellation is situated next door to the Napa Valley yet has a very different climate. It is much warmer and lacks the coastal influence that its more famous neighbor basks in. Lake County has mostly been known in the past for its bulk wine production, yet a new generation of winegrowers are beginning to figure out what the area’s different microclimates are capable of. These quality-minded producers are making smaller volumes of elegant wines, like those of Prima Materia.
- January 25, 2019Tags: valerie kathawala , tracey brandt , syrah"For us, natural wine is continuity from soil to bottle. It's about transparency, it's about making delicious wines." Tracey Brandt
- February 21, 2018Tags: stags leap , rolando herrera , napa valley“I love what I do. The name says it all, Mi Sueño—which stands for ‘my dream’—and it’s a great honor to live the true American dream in something you love." -Rolando Herrera
- April 01, 2017Tags: tyler elwell , rh drexel , halcyon winesTyler and Kim Elwell of Halcyon Wines - inspired by a love for California, the Loire Valley and a constant pursuit of wisdom, balance and love.
- August 02, 2015Categories: WinemakersTags: steve matthiasson , keep wines , jack robertsWe talk to winemaker Jack Roberts about moving to Napa Valley, Monty Python, New California and starting his own wine label.
- June 12, 2015Tags: unti vineyards , san francisco , natural wineThree thousand miles... that is a long way from home. But when it is to check out the local natural (and organic) wine scene of San Francisco and Napa Valley, it is well worth the travel.
Post Bottle Shock: Bo Barrett reflects on the 1976 Tasting and the modern trend to Big High Alcohol Napa WinesMay 13, 2014Categories: Winemakers, Wine People, FeaturesTags: tasting of paris , napa valley , jim barrettBottle Shocked
- January 29, 2014Tags: jim clarke , california wine , anderson valleyJim Clarke on Anderson Valley, California's sleeper hit.