A leader in promoting gender equality, New Zealand was the first country to grant women the right to vote in 1893. Lucia and John Gilbert explore the country's egalitarian attitudes to women wanting to break into the field of winemaking.
- March 24, 2018Tags: winemakers , wine , new zealandHead winemaker Anthony Walkenhorst on how Kim Crawford built one of the wine world's biggest brands.
- August 11, 2017Categories: Winemakers, FeaturesTags: seresin estate , sauvignon blanc , new zealandMichael Seresin makes movies for a living. But at his biodynamic vineyard Seresin Estate in Marlborough he is setting the standards for modern New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.
- September 08, 2016Categories: FeaturesTags: sauvignon blanc , new zealand , james busbyDavid Rogers looks at the history of wine in New Zealand from 1818 to the present. Did you know Sauvignon Blanc only came on the scene in the 1970's?
- October 13, 2015Categories: WinemakersTags: winemaking , sustainable , organicNew Zealand grape growers and winemakers talk sustainability.
- November 24, 2014Tags: winemaking , new zealand , malboroughAny excuse for New Zealand is a good one.
- October 14, 2014Tags: pacific prime wines , new zealand , francis huttWe picture a playground for adventure, with endless options for hiking, bungee jumping, whale watching, and the like. When it comes to wine, though, Americans know very little about New Zealand.
- June 17, 2014Tags: new zealand , erika szymanski , central otagoThis most southerly—hence coolest—of New Zealand’s wine regions was planted in the late 1800s. Pinot Noir took the early lead; Central Otago’s first gold medal was awarded to a “Burgundy” at a Sydney wine show in 1881.
- December 23, 2013Categories: ValuesTags: new zealand , martinborough , jim clarkeMartinborough, making waves with Pinot Noir.