As the fourth most planted red grape in the world and the third most planted red grape variety in France, Syrah or Shiraz (depending on location, style, and type) possesses vibrant dark skin with an excellent full-bodied roughness. While its origins remain open to interpretation, several different theories exist.
- July 08, 2021Categories: Critics' Picks, Winemakers, Wine PeopleTags: vins jean-luc colombo , rhone valley , laure colombo
Cornas is a small wine appellation in France’s Northern Rhône Valley. Located at the southern end of the region, its steep granitic hillsides are planted with only about 110 hectares of vines, all of which is Syrah. Until recently, Cornas wines were considered rather harsh and rustic; not worthy of the world's attention and frequently passed over in favor of wines from its storied neighbors,...
- December 08, 2017Tags: syrah , rhone wine , rhone valleyCrozes-Hermitage, the largest wine appellation in the Northern Rhône, and the wines of Domaine Les Bruyeres.
- December 07, 2016Tags: saint joseph , rhone wine , rhone valleyDomaine Aurelien Chatagnier and a wonderful yet classic example of elegant Syrah from the Northern Rhône.
- Hands down, soil is the essential element when planting vines and growing grapes.
- May 03, 2015Tags: rhone valley , muscat , grape collectiveA snapshot of France's Beaumes-de-Venise wine region.
- April 14, 2015Tags: rhone wine , rhone valley , rhoneLirac - the most southerly appellation in the Rhône valley and producer of red, white and rosé wines
- August 27, 2013Categories: FeaturesTags: rhone valley , pinot noir , australiaAustralian winemakers are pushing back on their low-budget image.